- Royal Assembly Rooms,
- Albert Square,
- Great Yarmouth,
- NR30 3JH
Secretary: D.G. Bolton, 74, Scott Road, Norwich, NR1 1YR
Tel: 01603 619047
Almoner: N. A. Wetton 12, Alexandra Avenue, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk NR30 4ED Tel: 01493 854451
History of Saint Nicholas Lodge
Saint Nicholas Lodge was consecrated on 4th May 1948 after the General Purposes Committee of the Lodge of Friendship No. 100 agreed that the time was opportune for the formation of a new Lodge in Great Yarmouth.
Every Lodge in Great Yarmouth was represented in the list of Founders, also some representatives of Suffolk Lodges.
The Lodge was named after Saint Nicholas for two reasons,
- After the local Parish Church, which was being rebuilt at the time.
- Saint Nicholas being the Patron Saint of Sailors, it was a great name for a Seaside Resort with a thriving Fishing Industry.
The Lodge Banner was Designed from the Congress Banner which was displayed in Saint Nicholas Church.
The Lodge Crest, displayed above, contains the Lodge Name and Number, with an oval centre depicting the three silver herrings, the ancient seal of the Burgess of Great Yarmouth up to 1340 AD. Crossing this Crest are a Bishop’s crook and an oar. The crook represents Saint Nicholas as a Bishop and the oar representing him as the Patron Saint of Sailors. The Oval Centre is surmounted by a Bishops Mitre.
The Alms collection box was made from Oak salvaged from the ruins of Saint Nicholas Church and is shaped like the famous Venables Pulpit which was destroyed with the Church. This Alms box is still used by the Lodge at some of its meetings.